Tabor Presbyterian Church was organized in 1879; however, the history of the worshipping community goes back to 1747. In the 18th century there were "churches" and "preaching points". Tabor for many years was a preaching point, which was established by Michael Woods, an irish immigrant. This was the first Presbyterian church east of the Blue Ridge Mountains (except for ones in the Tidewater section). At the time, the Church of England was the official church of Virginia and people worshipping in other churches were breaking the law. Some Scotch-Irish Presbyterians moved into the Shenandoah Valley and built churches because the mountains and many miles separated them from the law and the Church of England officials.
There is little known history until 1824 where it is noted that the supply pastors alternated between Tabor and Lebanon Church. During the Civil War, Tabor was closed due to the shortage of ministers and the congregation worshiped at Lebanon. Throughout this time the pulpit was filled by elder and UVA Professor William Dinwiddie, ordained to ministry in 1866.
Tabor Presbyterian Church, was organized on August 7, 1879, due to the growth in the community of Crozet. Rev. Hugh Henry was the first called pastor of this newly organized church. Mr. Henry's reflection of the ministry of the church are quoted: "The people of this church, as a whole, have been active, energetic and self-sacrificing." In 1883 Tabor began a relationship with the Olivet congregation, sharing ministers until 1890.
The congregation became involved in mission under the leadership of Joseph Crockett Painter. They began to provide services at Midway School, and opened a chapel on Jarman's Mountain named Painter's Chapel. As the village of Crozet continued to grow and the population moved into the village, it was decided that a new location was needed for the church. On November 13, 1912, the lot of the current church was purchased for $8,036. The original sanctuary built on this lot was completed in August of 1915; this sanctuary is still used today.
After the sanctuary was built, the church organized the Sabbath School and began working with youth, and the Woman's Auxiliary was formed. The women of the Auxiliary were instrumental in raising money for a truck that provided transportation for about 30 children from Jarman's Gap to attend Tabor Sunday School. After World War I, the Painter's Chapel was sold because of the decline on the mountain population and the placement of an apple brandy still near the chapel. Throughout the late 1930's and most of the 1940's Tabor was without an installed pastor and was served by student pastors.